What do I need for a VA Claim?

Navigating VA disability claims can be extremely challenging. Servicemembers can often feel overwhelmed at everything needed to successfully process or appeal a VA disability claim. The best place to start is by gathering all the necessary documents before trying to start the process.

Here’s a simple list of information you may need to file your claim:

  1. VA Form 21-526EZ (Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits);
  2. Medical Records from your doctor(s) about the injury or condition;
  3. Medical and Personnel Records from your military service, including DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) and DA Form 3349 (Physical Profile), which you can request online from the National Archives;
  4. Letters from servicemembers you served with who may have seen you receive the injury or known of the injury or condition during your time in active duty; and
  5. Supporting letters from family, friends, or other people with knowledge of your injury or condition.

All claims are unique and may require more than the documents in the list above. The VA’s official website has plenty of information on how to file a VA disability claim, including more information on evidence and other required documentation specific to your particular claim. The VA also offers a search engine online that can help you find VA accredited attorneys, claims agents, or veterans service organization representatives near you to help you with the claims process.

Written By: Hayden C.T. Parsons

« Back to Blog

Adler Attorneys
136 S 9th St # 400
Noblesville, IN 46060
phone: (317) 773-1974
fax: (317) 773-0943

Contact Us

By submitting this form ADLER ATTORNEYS will take no action to protect your interests. Submission of this form does not establish an attorney-client privilege. Please do not submit any confidential information through this form.