Should You File for Divorce?

Are you thinking about divorce but still uncertain as to whether you should file?

Indiana law allows for the filing of a petition for legal separation. In an action for legal separation, the court may grant a decree for a separation of the parties to the marriage for a period not to exceed one (1) year if the court finds that:

(1) conditions in or circumstances of the marriage make it currently intolerable for both parties to live together;

(2) the marriage should be maintained; and

(3) neither party has filed a petition or counter petition for dissolution of marriage under IC 31-15-2.

Should you decide you want a divorce, a petition for dissolution of marriage may be subsequently filed, and the court may hold a final dissolution hearing any time after sixty (60) days from the date of the filing the first petition have passed.

« Back to Blog

Adler Attorneys
136 S 9th St # 400
Noblesville, IN 46060
phone: (317) 773-1974
fax: (317) 773-0943

Contact Us

By submitting this form ADLER ATTORNEYS will take no action to protect your interests. Submission of this form does not establish an attorney-client privilege. Please do not submit any confidential information through this form.